Veduta della Torre Campanaria dall’Anfiteatro Fonte Mazzola e particolare dell’opera “Il Tempio del Vento” di Angelo Casciello
La Torre Campanaria dalle logge di Piazza del Popolo
Veduta della Torre Campanaria da un ruder
La Torre Campanaria è alta 42 metri
Veduta da Via Monsavino
Costruita tra il 1885 e il 1898 su progetto dell’arch. Luigi Bellincioni
The Bell Tower of Peccioli was built in 1885 by the engineer and architect from Pontedera Luigi Bellincioni (1842 - 1929). Bellincioni planned seven other bell towers distributed in the territory of the Valdera and Val di Cecina.
The tower of Peccioli is the result of a reconstruction and elevation of the previous Pisan Romanesque tower, 42 meters high, it is covered by a dark, bush-hammered stone from the quarries of Montecatini Val di Cecina.
The bell tower can be divided into three parts: the lower one, where there are the entrance door and the two small doors that connect the bell tower to the rectory and the church; the central one, where there are four windows; the upper one, where four large motorized bells are located; here there is also a helicoidal staircase through which it is possible to reach the octagonal top terrace placed at the base of a pyramidal spire surmounted by a gigantic copper sphere and a weathervane.
The structure, of “Moorish” taste, has an unusual position compared to that of the church; it is not, as usual, near the façade but behind the apse so as to assume a frontal position with respect to the Praetorian Palace. In this way the square becomes a real political and religious centre.
Furthermore, from the bell tower there is a magnificent panoramic view.
It is possible to visit the bell tower by reservation, by writing an email to firstname.lastname@example.org